Log Cabin Heritage at Deliverance Farm
Restoration on the old farm house at "Deliverance Farm" Boyd County, Kentucky began in 1998. We have now utilized PermaChink - a grit based silicon mixture that adjusts to shifts in temperature and log expansion and shrinkage. We have also treated all the logs for "critters," gone over the stain and sealed the logs. We hope to begin interior modifications to utilize as a guest house in the Spring 2001.
The front room is traditional square log dating to about 1867. Originally part of the old Howe farm, the Klaiber's purchased this portion of the farm from the Jordan's in 1944. [See annotated title search below]
The room is complete with fireplace and hardwood floors. Memories of Christmas trees, parlor chats, and candy pulling fill the air. While the front porch is not original it comes complete with two swings - and we invite our friends to visit and sit a spell. Renovation discoveries have included an unknown window tucked beside the fireplace and initials H and H W carved on the left side of porch. Additonally the name JEB is carved just to the left of the entrance door. Chinking varied from the original mud and horse hair packed mixture to the 1930's popular "repair" chinking of cement.
The house was heated with a coal stove, in the added middle section, from at least 1932 until 1971. It was covered with redwood siding and trim which helped protect the home from varmits. In 1971 the house was remodeled and aluminum sided. Typical of most early farm homes, the structure was added on as needed. The 1932 newspapers used as a barrier between log and newer structure and as "padding" for wall paper give clues to the addition of the middle portion between log structure and kitchen and cellar. This is a good indication that originally there was a dog trot to the cellar area.
A Little Bit of History
On the 3rd day of September 1866 W. P. Hood and Matilda his wife sold, their son-in-law, James W. Howe and Sarah his wife, in consideration of $1.00, a tract of land described as laying on Salmons fork of Garner, being a part of the survey of Richard Graham, deceased [Boyd County dbk 3:274]. This is one of several tracts now a part of Deliverance Farm, owned by James and Teresa Martin Klaiber. William P. Hood was the son of Thomas and Sarah Hood, early settlers of what was then Greenup County, Kentucky. He was born 2 March 1805 and died 14 August 1874. He married 13 December 1831 Matilda Howe born 3 December 1805 died 20 March 1887, buried in Klaiber Cemetery. William P., according to historian Evelyn Jackson also had a son named Price by one of his slaves.
As the Civil War came to a close, James W. Howe and Sarah E. Hood Howe [born about 1839] sold Phillip H. Howe, December 18, 1867 this portion of the property [Boyd County dbk 7:123] and we surmise it was Phillip and his family that first lived in this cabin. The 1870 Federal Census shows Phillip age 24, Sarah 56 [his mother], Martha K. 32, Sarah 21, George W. 19, Matilda 17 and a Wesley Bellding 18 being enumerated on East Fork. His mother Sarah [nee Fannin married George W. Howe 20 Oct 1836 in Lawrence County] died in 1874 and is also in Klaiber Cemetery.
On 19 December 1879 Allen Prichard purchased the property with the deed giving the description as between Long Branch and Sammons Fork [Boyd County dbk 9:54]. In 1893 he deeded the property to his daughter Hellen S. Finley. The property stayed in the Prichard family until August 1909 when S. H. and S.D. Finley sold the land to Jasper Sexton [Boyd County debk 57 page 417].
Jasper Newton Sexton [born 15 January 1869 died 10 November 1967] was the son of Henry Powell Sexton and Julina McCormack Sexton. He married Miriam Robert Lambert 20 January 1898 in Boyd County. They with their tiny son Royal Norman born 30 November 1899 moved into the cabin. Through the years the following children were also born while living there: Willa B. 10 December 1902, Everet born 8 June 1904, Thomas Edgar born 28 June, Sophia Mae born 9 March 1910, Harold Lee born 18 December, Maymie Lynd born February 1917, Wirt Elam born 18 July 1918 and a stillborn infant in February of 1916. On January 22, 1920 Jasper sold the property and home to J.A. Hazlett [Boyd County dbk 77:604].
John Allen Hazlett was born 24 April 1892 and died 9 December 1959. He married Eula D. Bolt born 20 November 1895, the daughter of Kent and Bertha Mae Pope Bolt. J.A. and Eula owned the property for 5 years selling to T.P. Jordan and wife Elizabeth on 29 August 1925. At the time of the sale the description referred to the ridge between Long Branch and Solomon Fork. Thus there is a question about the proper name of the fork - Salmon, Sammons, Solomon [Boyd County deed book 106:90].
Thomas P. Jordan born abt. 1870 was the son of Absolom Jordan [s/o Pleasant] who married Julia Ann Coburn . Julia was the daughter of Thomas Coburn and wife Julina nee. Brumfield Julia's grandparents were Micajah Brumfield and Eleanor Clay Brumfield. Elizabeth Jordan died 18 January 1940 and Thomas remarried. On November 25, 1944 son E.W. Jordan sold the property to John Henry Powell Sexton Klaiber and wife Elsie Rucker Klaiber [Boyd County dbk 192 page 355], adding the tract to additional lands in the family. John Henry was the great great grandson of Micajah and Eleanor Clay Brumfield and thus had "family ties" to the Jordan's. John Henry was the son of James Matthew Klaiber and wife Julina Sexton Klaiber. Julina was the sister to Jasper Newton Sexton who previously resided in the cabin. John and Elsie remained on the farm, having remodeled the home, until their deaths. Elsie loved antiques and referred to the original cabin which was now the front room as her "parlor" where she played hostess to guests. Their only son James grew from infancy to adulthood on the farm and now  retains the deed to the property.
Deliverance Farm Enterprises
Return to Table of contents
Visit more of Deliverance Farm
Teresa Martin Klaiber
Please contact me for citations and credits - extended lines and other family materials.